Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Duathlon. Part 2

I did my event at the weekend... I was pleased that I'd got through it, but a couple of things niggled me:
1. The warden misdirected me (and about half the field!) so I didn't run over the electronic sensors at the first interchange, and didn't get a split time for my first run or bike... I just know that those first 2 legs took 1:09. I think the 4k run was about 24 mins, which means the 13k cycle must have been about 45. I do know the last 2k run took me just over 14mins which means someone walking briskly could've kept pace with me!! (But at least I achieved my pre-race goal of not stopping to walk, and not getting off the bike to push). However...
2. I had woefully under-prepared for the cycle leg. I'd convinced myself that the course would be flat and that I could rest on the bike if I was tired from running... nope! there were a couple of challenging hills to climb, and at one point (I kid you not) I was going so slowly at the top of a hill just levelling out onto the flat, that a young girl with a pretty basket on the front of her bike came zooming past me!!! (Well she had just pushed her bike up the hill, you see)
3. I didn't win a spot-prize.

All up, though, it was a good experience, and having taken Monday off to rest, yesterday I started training for the next one; about 8 weeks away in Mission Bay, there's an event. I think the short-course is 20k cycle + 5k run, so I need to train hard. Well at least that one *will* be flat... 

1 comment:

  1. Hey, excellent job Ian! Welcome to the training blog club. ;-)

    It's too bad you're not in the city at the moment. I really want to get running again at lunchtimes, but it's hard to get motivated to go out alone.

    ReplyDelete